Monday, March 21, 2005

Sometimes in April...........

This is a continuation of yesterday's post. I watched sometimes in April this weekend. I am still a little sad and upset that I did not know anything about this terrible tragedy that took place in Rwanda in '94. I went to work and asked a few people at work today if they knew about it and they all said "NO"....then I called my lil brother and he of course knew all about it. hmmph...he always was a smart ass....his reply was "sister dear you must keep up with YOUR worldly events"..smart ass!

How can over a million Africans be murdered an we not know about it? It saddens me that we (America) didn't get involved at all......Why we are ALWAYS in everybodies business all other times throughout history.......oh yeah I know why the government didn't give a dam....there was no oil, diamonds or any other monetary gain.....hmmmph sad very sad..........

What did I learn from this? I now know that I can not depend on the media to give me what I need to know.....I don't watch the news very often because it always depresses me....but the Rwandan genocide didn't get hardly any t.v time............I do read the local newspaper, not daily but I always read the Sunday paper.........1 million Africans murdered...I didn't read about it.

This has been bothering me ALL weekend and most of the day today......

I know I am boring you all but DAM!!! I'm still pissed..........I'm going to google it and read some more....................

5 Comments:

Anonymous blackgirliniowa said...

I can identify with not paying attention (enough) to things that are happening in other parts of the world. I think in general, Americans are very socialized to only pay attention to the things that are set before us in the limited view that the media provides. And what the media and those controlling the information have repeatedly said is that African bodies are not important.

Even in Iowa, we gave refuge to Bosnians, but never did I hear about Rwandans receiving the same kind of refuge.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

blackgirliniowa: I agree...had this happened on any other continent...I strongly believe that America would have been involved.....

6:56 AM  
Blogger mrs.tj said...

Don't feel bad, I did not hear about this either 1 MILLION...Make you think that the media may feel that some type of people are more important than others. Any ways, I am not able to watch a lot of television, so I read CNN or when I'm home sick I will watch Oprah. I did see a segment about people in Africa killing mutalating children there because they think the blood, or body parts or even having sex with the pure babies will cure thier AIDS. I haven't heard nothing of this on the news. How are we to educate ourselves if the media is leaving out crucial parts of our world news? It really upsets me.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

mrs.t.j....thanks for coming to see my lil blog.....
I feel sad, mad just plain upset that the media didn't talk much about it.....

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sheron said...

I was only 21 when the murders took place in Rwanda. I didn't read about it until the late 90's. It's something that every person should take notice of. I've missed the Sometimes in April movie twice on HBO. I'm sure I'll catch it this weekend.

There's an AWESOME PBS documentary about the genocide too. Check their website for information. In addition, Don Cheadle recently starred in a movie called Hotel Rwanda. It should be released on DVD soon.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home