Sunday, October 09, 2005

Remember my Grandma..............

Today is my grandmas birthday. She passed away in March. I still can't believe she's gone............this May when I was picking out my Mothers day cards, I picked up 2 Grandma cards like I have always done. Then I realized I only have ONE now!!!! That really made me sad!!!

All week I have been anxious about today, wondering what emotions I would be feeling.........I want to remember all the things she taught me. I want to feel happy for her because I know she is in a better place. I know she is happy. I know she is "pain free".

I can not forget all that she taught me about being a lady and about life in general:
"ladies ALWAYS sit with their legs crossed. "

"ladies never ever leave the house without looking your best!!!"

"young ladies speak correct English. It seperates you from the rest"

"if you have it to give, give what you can, you will be better off"

"cook from the heart, with love"

"always walk with your head up high and shoulders back"

"look people in the eyes when they talk to you"

"listen when people talk to you, then respond"

"KEEP IN TOUCH WITH BOTH SIDES OF YOUR FAMILY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE TO TEACH YOU"!!!

I can not imagine how it would feel to have your only child pass on before you. My dad died in November then my grandma in March. When I went home for my dad's funeral my grandma seemed fine. Then four months later she was gone.

I will remember all the fun I had with her. I will remember all the important things she taught me that I pass on to my kids. I will remember her!!!

Every October 9th I will remember Barbara Jean. A great mother, wife,mother, sister, aunt and friend. A REAL LADY who helped me to become the woman I am today!!!

I LOVE YOU GRANDMA!!!

Now im gonna drink me some coffee like grandma would do and read the paper........anybody got some Lou Rawls I can listen to?Cause grandma loved to listen to him!!!

Have a great Sunday y'all!!!


16 Comments:

Anonymous Quel said...

Great post!

Another lesson from the grands:
When you clean your house, start from the back. You never know when houseguests might need one of the "back rooms".

8:50 AM  
Blogger YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

My Granny, pioneered that whole standing up straight thing...in case of enormous breasteses. She told me to look people in the eye while conversating too. I still do that. I know how you feel when it comes to Grandmas. Still miss mine.
Hugs, Dee.

11:12 AM  
Blogger BajanQueen said...

Sorry to hear about your lost. Losing a loved one is never easy, and it seems like you were really close to her as well.

Keep remembering her and the things she passed on to you, it's how she stays alive here on earth where her physical form is no longer.

I will say a pray for you, and your family.

Keep ya head up, sorry I don't have any Lou Rawls music, if I did I would play it in honor of your grandma. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

~Smooches~

4:05 PM  
Blogger defiant goddess said...

That is so sweet. She sounds like a special lady. You're blessed to have her live on in you.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Organized Noise said...

"you'll never find
no matter where you look
someone who loves you
like I do"

Ok, that's all the Lou Rawls I know, but, at least I tried.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Touching post. You were blessed to have her in your life and she's looking down on your and will forever stay in your heart.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Brandi said...

Wonderful post!

She sounds like a wonderfu llady :)

6:40 AM  
Blogger Msnhim said...

I wish I could have that kind of relationship with my grandmother be she is just evil! LOL

But seriously how nice that you have these memories to share with your boys. As long as you keep her memory alive she will always be with you

8:34 AM  
Blogger Schatzi said...

I'm glad you were able to get such great advice from your grandmother!!! Sorry about your loss! But you have the memories in your heart!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Sheron said...

This post made me teary eyed in memory of your grandmother and my own.

What a great tribute, Dee. She'd be proud.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Nicky said...

Your grandmother sounded wonderful, and look at what a great adult she made, instill those things in your boys like you have been.. Great tribute..

9:24 AM  
Blogger mrs.tj said...

I miss my G-MA!
If only I can be as smart as my
g-ma was...

Holla!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Cutie Cola said...

I lost my Great-grandmother a few yrs ago and I'm still not used to it. She used to tell us lots of stories of the 'old days' and she always had a lap for you to sit on. She was always the one to take me up and hush me after my mom whooped me. She taught us a lot about life and love. I know your Grandma will always be in your heart.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Cutie Cola said...

ps. with school and work, I don't have as much time to blog anymore. I think it will be like this for a while. Thanks for the concern sweetie. I'll still be around, promise.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Oh how sweet. I have one Grandma left too - although she has favorites and I am not it. I was very young when my moms mom died but remember it so! I still have a very strong connection to her - B's middle name is her first.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Blk Silk said...

*Humming* Lady Love, as type this post....

Dee it warms my heart to read how you felt about your grandmother. I personally find that the elders in our lives instill the best qualities in us.

I see that you have found comfort knowing she is better off, It's ok to be sad because you miss her, proves she had an impact in your life.

You are in my heart, thoughts and prayers...

Have a good day.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home